Week 3 Discussion: Reflection on Careful Nursing (Graded)
The purpose of this discussion is for learners to apply lessons from careful nursing to the original time period and to today’s practice.
This reflection enables the student to meet the following course outcome:
· CO2: Apply lessons from nursing history to today’s professional nursing practice. (PO4)
· During the assigned week (Sunday the start of the assigned week through Sunday the end of the assigned week):
· Posts in the discussion at least two times, and
· Posts in the discussion on two different days
· Reflection is an activity that involves your deep thought into your own experiences related to the concepts of the week. Answers should be detailed. In reflections students:
· Demonstrate understanding of concepts for the week
· Engage in meaningful dialogue with classmates and/or instructor
· Express opinions clearly and logically, in a professional manner
· Use the rubric on this page as you compose your answers.
· Scholarly sources are NOT required for this reflection
· Best Practices include:
· Participation early in the week is encouraged to stimulate meaningful discussion among classmates and instructor.
· Enter the reflection often during the week to read and learn from posts.
· Select different classmates for your reply each week.
Catherine McAuley’s philosophy of careful nursing was applicable in pre-Nightingale times and is still applicable today. Select
of the 10 key concepts of careful nursing. Reflect on how that concept might have been applied in McAuley’s time and how it is applied in
professional nursing practice today.
Book Title: A History of American Nursing
Authors: Deborah Judd, Kathleen Sitzman
Publisher: Jones & Bartlett Publishers
Judd, D., & Sitzman, K. (2014). A history of American nursing: Trends and eras (2nd ed.). Jones & Bartlett.