Scenario: Imagine you are a probation officer who has been tasked with creating a report to share with the key personnel of the local school district to build awareness about laws and court processes that impact local court juvenile sentencing.
Write a report that consists of 2 parts:
Part 1: Data Visualization
Research statistics on populations of juvenile delinquents using the OJJDP’s Easy Access to Juvenile Court Statistics (EZAJCS) data tool for national data on juvenile delinquency demographics, offenses, and case processing trends. Choose 1 of the following options to investigate:
- How 1 year’s delinquency case totals compare to another year’s totals based on the age at referral, manner of handling, and disposition
- How 1 year’s case processing totals compare to another year for 2 types of offenses and how they vary for different demographic groups and genders
- Explain the data shown in your image. Summarize what the difference in the numbers means for juvenile sentencing in courts.
- Categorize the types of offenses that come under acts of delinquency and status offenses in juvenile courts.
- Describe in detail the court process applicable for either type of offense and the court personnel associated with each process?