Please include self reflection in assignment
You are teaching reading and history to a group of second-grade students at the local elementary school. Your students are required to read “So You Want to Be President?” as they study Presidents Day. The book is written by Judith St. George and illustrated by David Small.
You are concerned about their ability to fully comprehend the story, especially given the number of new vocabulary words the students will encounter. You decide to create a lesson plan wherein the students form small groups in which they read, listen aloud and answer questions together, specifically targeting vocabulary words that are likely to be new to them. You will also create hands-on activities that help children make real-life connections with the material being taught. As you prepare the lesson plan, you will consider the alignment between NCFELD and Common Core as they relates to the following goals:
NCFELD Language Development and Communication (LDC)
- Foundations for Reading
- Goal LDC-8: Children develop interest in books and motivation to read.
- Goal LDC-9: Children comprehend and use information presented in books and other print media.
Common Core State Standards and NC’s Essential Standards
- English Language Arts
- Speaking and Listening
Instructions and Rubric for Chapter Scenario:
Focus Assignment (50 points)
Create a simple lesson plan for an in-class group reading and activity that you will present to your class.
- In addition to the activity plan, include a one-paragraph overview of group roles and activities.
- In another paragraph, describe how you will scaffold the activities.
Self-Reflection (50 points)
1. For each item of your lesson plan, explain how this item addresses the issues in the scenario (40 points).