-What is your selected topic and why is it important in today’s world?
-What elements, materials, molecular structure, and/or crystal structure make up your selected topic?
-How are these materials manufactured? -What is the general range of mechanical properties?
-Why do we use these materials in certain applications?
-Based on what you said in the previous sections, what are some applications of your materials?
-What were the highlights of your topic material?
Ingram School of Engineering
Materials Engineering 2300, Spring 2022
• Cover Page
• 12-point font, double spaced, 1-inch margins
• Numbered pages
• At least 2000 words
• Must use at least 10 references
o At least 5 of these references must be from journal articles or reviews
o Use APA formatting for citations and references
• Tables and Figures must have captions (and references if applicable)
• Use the following format for section breaks
1. Heading 1
• Fiber Composites
• Metal Matrix Composites
• Cast Irons
• Titanium Alloys
• Super Alloys
• High-Performance Polymers
• Aerospace Ceramics
Suggested Sections (and helpful guidelines):
• What is your selected topic and why is it important in today’s world?
• What elements, materials, molecular structure, and/or crystal structure
make up your selected topic?
• What is the distinction that separates your material from others?
• For metals – What are the common grades? What do the
microstructures look like?
• For ceramics, composites, polymers – what about the molecular
structure or components classifies it in the specific category? What are
some common examples and what are their chemical or industry
• How are these materials manufactured?
• Does manufacturing change based on application?
• Does a certain manufacturing method save time but sacrifice
performance? In other words, what are the tradeoffs between different
• Are there different ways to achieve the same result? Why choose one
method over another?
• Does the microstructure or crystal structure change during
4. Mechanical Properties
• What is the general range of mechanical properties?
• How does manufacturing and processing influence these?
• How does processing influence the desired properties? Are there
different ways to achieve the same result?
• For metals – does heat treatment affect the mechanical properties?
• For composites – what is the influence of the filler? Do different filler
lengths, orientations, aspect ratios, etc. affect the mechanical
5. Material Selection/Design Consideration
• Why do we use these materials in certain applications?
• Is there a cost advantage? Performance advantage? Weight
advantage? Eco-friendly advantage?
• What are the alternatives? Did these materials replace another
material because they were better in a certain property?
• Depending on the material, an Ashby Diagram may be helpful to show
why these materials are better than others.
• Based on what you said in the previous sections, what are some
applications of your materials?
• What problems did they address that the previous material solution did
• How did the discovery/creation/improvement of these materials move
technology forward in these applications?
• How does the material meet the property requirements (mechanical,
bio, thermal, etc.) of these applications?
• What were the highlights of your topic material?
• What are still some of the problems/drawbacks?
• How are these drawbacks being addressed in current research?
• What does the future and future research look like for these materials?
Body – Content 30%
Body – Technical Depth 30%
References & In-Text Citations 10%
Grammar, Spelling, Formatting, and