1. Why should HIM professionals be aware of laws affecting the management of personnel?
2. What is the role of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)?
3. The Equal Employment Opportunity (EEOC) website, introduced in the text, describes a number of discriminatory practices that are prohibited by a variety of laws. Which of these do you think creates the greatest liability concerns for a healthcare manager? Consider your response, in particular, tothe demographics of the area in which you live.
4. Discuss the Immigration and Reform Act of 1986 and what an employer must be aware in order to be in compliance withother discrimination laws.
5. How does Title IV of the Civil Rights act relate to limited English proficiency speaking individuals?
6. What is the difference between exempt and nonexempt employees? If you had a choice, how would you like to be classified and why?
7. What are some issues related to union contracts and the role of the National Labor Relations Board? 8. How does collective bargaining protect the employee, employer?
9. If you were working in a healthcare facility and were accidentally stuck by a needle that had been previously used on a patient, what federal law would you hope your employer was adhering to in regard to minimizing such risk?
What rights do employees have under OSHA